By Matthew Enright AP, DOM (Lic. AP1711) – Palm Beach Gardens, Florida – Have you ever given thought to the amount of work your feet have to do on a daily basis? They have to carry your body weight all through the day, which is quite the task. However, we never really think about such things unless there is a problem. In this case, foot pain would immediately draw your attention to your feet. You need not worry about it too much though since acupuncture can take care of such pain effectively.
The foot has a complex structure that consists of 24 bones working together with tendons and ligaments to enable seamless foot motion and body support. When there is a problem and you are experiencing foot pain, it can be severe and debilitating. At Palm Beach Gardens Acupuncture, we have been offering relief for such kind of pain for 15 years now. Our patients have always been pleased with the kind of therapy they receive and the results that come with it.
Common types of foot pain that acupuncture relieves and its symptoms:
- Heel spurs – It is a common cause of foot pain. People who have heel spurs usually have an abnormal growth protruding from the bottom of the heel. Such a growth may come from wearing ill-fitting shoes, poor posture or walking style. A lot of people have these kind of spurs which they do not notice since they cause no pain even though they become a problem when they grow too large and causing difficulty when walking.
- Plantar Fasciitis – The condition is characterized by foot pain coming from under the heel. The plantar fascia is the ligament that attaches the front of the foot to the heel, enabling walking. We use our feet a lot in a normal day and this causes the ligament to wear and tear very quickly. In fact, this is the reason plantar fasciitis is one of the most common orthopedic complaints practitioners come across. The ligaments are a shock absorber that gives support to the arch of the foot. These ligaments rupture easily when the foot is subjected to a lot of pressure. You know you have plantar fasciitis if the bottom of your heel is stiff and you experience severe pain in this area.
- Morton’s Neuroma – The condition causes pain between the third and fourth toe. Morton’s Neuroma makes a person feel like they are standing on a folded sock or pebbles in the shoes. Morton’s neuroma is identified by signs such as numbness, a burning or stinging sensation in the toe and a persistent and sharp pain emanating from the ball of the foot. The condition is known to bring about thickening of tissue around the nerves in your toes.
- Bunions – It is a bump-like protrusion on the side of the big toe. Bunions are caused by an anomaly of the foot bone, which causes the big toe to lean on the second toe. The bump results from the angle which the leaning toe lies in. Bunions may be present in the feet without causing pain but will cause pain if they grow and crowd.
- Metatarsalgia – The condition is a result of wearing ill-fitting shoes or high impact. Flat footed people are less likely to get the condition as opposed to people with arched feet. The main symptom that alerts you to the condition is the severe pain at the ball of the foot.
Western treatments for foot pain
The foot has a complex makeup, so the doctor has to examine the foot thoroughly before administering treatment. An X-ray may be done to determine whether you have any ruptures or fractures. If a fractured bone or ruptured ligament is identified, then your doctor may recommend a surgical operation to correct the problem. Foot pain is typically treated using wraps, orthotics, and ice/heat treatment. Pain medication is also prescribed, which also reduces inflammation.
Acupuncture and foot pain
If you have had to deal with foot pain for a while with no real results from conventional treatments, it may be time to try out acupuncture. Traditional Chinese Medicine has been applying the technique for over three thousand years for treatment of many types of chronic pain as well as other illnesses.
Acupuncture is meant to stimulate self-healing in the body where blood flow to certain parts of the body helps in restoring full body function. Acupuncture needles are inserted just below the skin at certain points. It is safe, painless and effective.
Archives of Internal Medicine, a medical journal, has published research showing the efficacy of acupuncture to treat chronic pain. In the research, acupuncture is shown to be the most preferred mode of treatment due to its non-invasive way of treating pain.
At Palm Beach Gardens Acupuncture, our licensed team of physicians have been treating cases of chronic pain for years. These are acupuncture experts with the know-how and experience to help you alleviate the pain in your feet. Get a free consultation and relieve the pain today!